Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Update

This is becoming a hectic week.

Marguerite and I are moving to Charleston, SC in August. Barry will follow soon after, and Marlie, Christian and Jame are heading back to college.

Two houses for sale, what to bring/what to sell before leaving Ohio, attending freshman orientation with Marlie next month, completing the edit for Second Chance Grill--my days usually start around 5 a.m. and don't finish until 10 p.m. Of course, I'm incredibly excited about the move to South Carolina and the prospect of never again living through six months of snow. I imagine sitting in a pretty Charleston park writing a WIP on an iPad while my pooch, Nala, frolics in the flowers. Barry and I both dream about wandering the beach at dusk. Marguerite is excited about making new friends and living in a city where art rules.

Charleston, here we come!

7 comments:

  1. Congrats!
    It was good meeting you! I will keep you in my thoughts. It's sad that you're leaving the area, but it's completely understandable.

    When I'm famous I'll credit you in my book. :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I'll often be in NE Ohio: three of my children are in college here. Btw, I'm still trying to get the girls to call you for lunch. Hope they will soon. You can all be sensational Asians together :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. that would be truly epic. I am finishing treasure me--it's obviously compelling. would be interesting to see references to the philippines in future books. (and yes, it's 1 L and 2 Ps; I always mess that up)

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, you will probably like Charleston about 8 months out of the year. From May-August, everybody is pretty miserable (heat and humidity). However, the fact that we only have three seasons (super hot, warm, and cool), makes it nice. Though on the off chance we get snow, everything shuts down (this is a shock to most Northern people accustomed to snow). I mean flurries in the forecast, schools close.

    Lots of history, walking downtown is like a literal time warp. Cars and horse drawn carriages share lanes. The fronts of town homes are unchanged from over a hundred years ago.

    Locals will complain about the traffic, but it's nothing compared to other places I've lived (Hampton Roads, San Diego, Orlando). In general, don't stray too far off the tourist areas downtown after dark, and few places in North Charleston are okay. I wouldn't live in North Charleston if someone paid me, and most of Goose Creek is nasty.

    Another place you might want to look is Daniel Island. It is VERY nice, a planned community, but lots of amenities.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elizabeth, thanks for the Charleston info. I can't wait to meet you after the move. Keep writing, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Christine, that it semi-cruel to flaunt a move to the land of hardly any snow ... as I remain in the snow belt of the Fingerlakes Region in central New York! Do enjoy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry, Rosie! Fingerlakes region gets just as cold as my Great Lakes region. And I am looking forward to South Carolina--slower paced life, more time to write ... and the ocean ((sigh))

    ReplyDelete